In the bucolic setting of Bolton West, sit some of the original homes homes of Boltons first settlers. 85 King Street West has retained all of it's old world charm and beauty, a home that has withstood the sands of time.
Built in 1911 by Joseph Strong, this Edwardian Classical home was constructed for William Caldwell, Manager of the Bolton Telephone Company. Caldwell and his family lived in the home until 1922, when it was sold to Ernest Beamish, owner of the Beamish Butcher Store. The house was inherited by Beamish's daughter Lenna and her husband Ernest Wilkinson in 1942. The house was subsequently sold in the 1960's to Ernest and Jennie Stewart.
The front verandah, which no doubt offered countless souls reprieve from the summer heat, has been converted to a sunroom/mud room, still maintaining its original glory.
The once 5 bedroom home has had some interior modifications, the biggest to date being the opening up of the bedrooms and reducing their number to 3. A detached garage, with parking off the back is in keeping with the original design. A new, updated boiler system has also recently been installed.
As is typical with well maintained century homes, they ooze a certain "je ne c'est quoi", a glimpse into yesterday. Delightful pockets doors, grand high baseboards, a decadent claw foot soaker tub in the master bath, what's not to love? The rich dark tones in the home lend to a sense of calm and serenity, a wonderful place to call home.